The Veterinary Technician will assist the Veterinarian in the care of animal patients at the City’s animal shelter. Additional key responsibilities include use of medical care equipment, as well as moving and handling domestic animals and wildlife. The Veterinary Technician reports to the Animal Services Manager in the Animal Services Division of the Police Department. This is an excellent leadership opportunity to provide high-quality care for animal patients.
Any combination of education and/or experience which has provided the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to satisfactory job performance would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge, skills and abilities would be:
Education: Two (2) years of college preferably in veterinary science.
Experience: Two (2) years in interpretation and enforcement of laws or codes, preferably related to animal control work.
• Provide intake examinations, document animal’s gender, medical conditions, age, dental condition, temperament, breed.
• Record and maintain health and temperament information on all animals.
• Oversee in-kennel enrichment for shelter animals.
• Conduct pre-adoption health evaluations for dogs, cats, and other species.
• Vaccinate animals and administer medications as prescribed by a veterinarian for the treatment and prevention of animal illnesses.
• Provide paraprofessional medical care and treatment under the direction of veterinarians.
• Assist veterinarians with high volume spay/neuter surgeries and other medical procedures.
• Conduct humane animal euthanasia.
• Maintain inventory of all pharmaceuticals, medical equipment, and supplies.
• Maintain accurate and thorough records of all surgeries, drugs administered, and other information according to all mandated federal, state, local, and professional standards and procedures.
• Assist customers and coworkers with information on the condition of the animals evaluated.
• Actively participate in the resolution of shelter-wide problems.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Hourly Rate – $25 to $30. Placement within the range will be made depending upon the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate. Benefits are provided pro-rated for 20 hours/week.